Tuesday, January 20, 2009

From not much to Obama

I am still here. Still keeping up my blogging promises. It has been an uneventful week.

Kids are doing well in school...Bryce and Casey are working hard, and I am doing what I do.

Bryce turned 19 on Saturday...19...I am so not old enough to have a 19 year old son. He was such a stick in the mud. He refused to go out to dinner; he didn't want to do anything, but sit home. His BFF came over for several hours, and Sarah stopped by. Gramma, of course, made her way over. That was his day. He said he just wanted to hang out...so we did a big fat zero.

Today is the inauguration. So, we are now under President Obama. I think it is great that this country has come to a place to elect a black person. However, I wish it had been a black person like Colin Powell, JC Watts or Condoleeza Rice. I don't agree with most of Obama's policies. However, I will give him a chance, even though he didn't get my vote. I won't complain until he does something to complain about. I will pray for him and this country.

I will say, on a day like today, I see the humanity of it all. Not Republican or Democrat, but 2 men (and their families). One leaving their home, and one coming into it. How hard it must be for the Bushes to leave their home with the people moving into it, and not get to take a minute to say "Bye house". But to have to leave with dignity and publicly, as opposed to privately, with maybe a tear in their eye. And for the Obama's to have this new home, and yet they are travelling all around the city, not able to settle into their new life. It is all very surreal. I don't think it will hit any of them for days. How could it? The enormity of no longer being President, and the worries and burdens you carry every second, and the enormity of now being President, and needing to do that job. It is crazy when you think about what has been bestowed on both families. I did hear an interview with Laura Bush - she hasn't cooked in 15 years between the Governor's mansion and the White House. Boy that reality will hit come dinner time tonight.

No comments: